Monday, June 18, 2007

Buying Car Insurance in Italy

So you think that it's just the 8 bucks a gallon for gasoline to gripe about. How about the 2000 bucks for liability only auto insurance? By accident however, I stumbled upon a bargain which hopefully may benefit other people shopping for auto insurance in Italy as well as all over Europe.

While I was shopping for the Vito last year, I had the good fortune of speaking with a fellow American in Texas who selling his VW Transporter in Germany. This fine gentleman told me that Geico also sells car insurance in Italy. Ah Ha! Geico Insurance out of the US sells auto insurance here in Italy.

I saved about 70% since the european carriers generally assume that you have the worst driving record when they issue insurance to you. I used to pay about 1400 Euros for the VW. Now I pay 800 Dollars. An additional 40% discount is available if you can provide a letter from your previous insurer that you had no major claim in the last 3 years. This made a huge difference for me.

Geico info can be found by Googling Geico Italy. You get a list of countries they do business in. There are 4 locations in Italy alone. I selected Aviano where I spoke with Lino at "American Service Center" Lino is very very easy to work with. the beottom line is that I was able to insure each car for less than half what I was paying the European carriers. we were able to complete the whole insurance transaction over the net in about an hour.

I hope this helps.

No comments: