Friday, May 04, 2007

The Hanoi Hilton and John McCain

There really is a Hanoi Hilton and it is very nice, but it isn't the Hanoi Hilton that housed the prison built by during the French occupation for the Vietnamese who didn't like being occupied and later used to house American pilots shot down and captured.












My old friend Jim Schultz and I went to the Hanoi Hilton or what was left of it last March. It was just a few blocks from the very nice small hotel in the old quarter I was staying at and I had passed by it a dozen times not knowing it was there.










The Vietnamese displayed the flight suit of their celebrity POW John McCain. Jim asked "Can you imagine what he was thinking when his jet was going down" and I said "As soon as he got into the jet, he knew he could be toast."

John McCain has balls. I told Jim that McCain had a different variety of balls than we had. Now I can't speak for Jim, but I got the sense from him that perhaps his liberal views on the Vietnam War AFTER visiting Vietnam for the second time had changed. I have some opinions but I would rather keep them to myself.