Monday, June 26, 2006

Vietnam Is A Crowded Place


The population is currently over 83 Million. Traffic in Hanoi and Saigon is horrific. I have been eyeing the weather in Danang and learning about relative humidity. Education is reportedly poor due to a lack of facilties... hummm, but can be compensated with private tutors and home schooling. Can we make this our new home?

There is some question as to whether a farang like me can own property here. This issue is being researched by Henry Che who I met through craigslist.com which now has a list area in Vietnam. Henry has just finished building two houses in Danang for his in-laws so he is familiar with the process.

I would like to build a teak house similar to the Jim Thompson House in Bangkok. This does not require the precision and knowledge of new materials that are the rage in western building. I want to keep it simple by using mostly native materials.

Building a western style home here with western materials does not appeal to me. That does not mean that I don't want a satellite dish, broadband, modern kitchen or multi media but I don't think I will want any sheet rock or wall to wall carpet. I found a picture of Ho Chi Mihn's house on the net. Apparently the talent to build out of teak is not a barrier. I understand they have teak farms too. Hummm... teak farming? The other day I looked at Danang via Google Earth. Lots of facilities... Hopefully I can get to some competent Vietnamese lawyer who can structure some deal for me. We will see.

No comments: