Tuesday, May 30, 2006

THE CONTAINER HOUSE 2002

CONTAINER HOUSE
was built in just 90 days by my father and I in the hot summer of 2002. Three 45 ft aluminum containers on the second floor provided approximately 1000 sf ft in a 2bd 2ba configuration along with a 400 sq ft deck facing the river on one side and a large commercial vineyard on the the other.


This provided plenty of room for the Spiderman Pinball Machine.


The 9.5 ft high containers allowed 8 ft 10 in high ceilings and big openings for oversized windows and oversized 3 panel commercial french doors.





Heating became a pressing issue with Jax joining us on November 5, 2002.





Alas, my dreams of using radiant heat from plastic tubing PEX strapped on the bottom of the container was abandoned soon after the inside temperature reached 40 degrees.





One major issue was how to seal the roof after the three top containers were bolted together. I decided on ordering an oversized vinyl tarp which covered the top in one solid membrane and protected glued down rigid insulating foam.








Had I the call to do this again, I would still use the tarp, but I would have planted a lawn and sprinkler on top to deaden the sound from the occasional heavy rain and provide cooling and better insulation.



1 comment:

Katie-girl said...

Where can I get one of those?
That's crazy! Do you still have to pay taxes on it?